Shri Abhijit Banerjee
Chinmaya Naada Bindu Gurukula
Gurukula for Performing Arts
Considered among the top class of tabla players from India, Abhijit Banerjee is one of the main disciples of the illustrious guru, the late Pt. Gyan Prakash Ghosh. Abhijit has crafted a unique style and creative approach, and is known for his sensitivity, skill and deep sense of musicality. He has also delved into a diverse variety of world music crossover as both a performer and composer.
Abhijit also studied vocal music and violin later in his life in making a complete musician out of him. He is a sought-after accompanist, and as a tabla soloist he has left his distinct mark through numerous performances, workshops and publications in India & abroad.
Abhijit has toured extensively, and also represented India in Music Festivals, the world over. He has founded his own ensemble TARANG, performing his original compositions.
Abhijit has scored music for TV serials, Documentaries, Puppet shows, Dramas and short films. He has founded & established Dhwani Academy of Percussion in Los Angeles and Kolkata, attracting talented students from around the world.
• Post Graduate in Journalism
• Graduate in English literature
• Worked as a journalist and music critic for major publications in India
• Examiner for the Masters’ Degree of Rabindra Bharati University, Calcutta
• Examiner the Govt. of India for its National talent search in Music
• Examiner All India Radio for its Gradation Test
• Member of Regional Selection Committee, CCRT
• Instructor of Norwegian Music Academy, Oslo
• Participated in many National programmes of music from All India Radio and Doordarshan
• Journalist and music critic for major publications in India like The Telegraph, Calcutta, Amrita Bazar Patrika and others.
Management & Organizational Activities
• Founder of “Dhwani Academy of Percussion Music’ in India, where all kinds of percussion instruments are being taught and nurtured
• Wings extended to Los Angeles and New York, which are running successfully for last ten years
• Overwhelming responses from these two international centers led to develop a branch Phoenix, USA
• Initiator of ‘Behala Uchchanga Sangeet Sammelan’
Seminars & Workshops
• Conservatory Of Music, Puerto Rico
• Whittier College 7 days Lecture series on Music Religion & Drama
• New Jersey College, TCNJ
• University of Illinois , Urbana Champaign
• Appex Fellow (UCLA)
• Otani University, Japan
• University of Colorado springs
• University of Oshkosh
• University of New Mexico, Albuquerque
• Seminar on North Indian Classical Music conducted by Jadavpur University
• National Seminar on Indian tradition in search of music conducted by Ramakrishna Mission
• Norwegian Music Academy, Oslo 2014
Major Performances Abroad
• Puertico Rico Percussion Music Festival
• Yerba Buena Gardens Festival, USA
• LEAF Festival, USA
• San Francisco Jaaz, USA
• Carnegie Hall, NY
• Lincoln Centre Summer Series
• Symphony Center (presented by World Music Institute)
• American Dance Festival
• Sacred Music Festival, Japan American Theater, Los Angles
• Chicago World Music Festival
• Performed with his group TARANG in Sacred Festival of Music, Los Angeles
• Theatre De La Ville, Paris
• Paleis, Brussells
• World Percussion Festival, Granada, Spain
• Barbican Center, South Bank London
• BBC Indian Night, Manchester
• Radio France Indian Music Series, Paris
• Tour in Japan
Major Performances in India
• ITC Sangeet (Music) Research Academy
• Dover Lane Music Conference (Calcutta)
• St. Xaviers Indian Music Group – IMG (Mumbai)
• National Center for Performing Arts – NCPA (Mumbai)
• Suburban Music Circle (Mumbai)
• Indo Occidental Symbiosis (Calcutta)
• Percussive Arts (Bangalore)
• Saptak (Ahmedabad, Gujarat)
• Sawai Gandharva Music Festival (Pune)
• Gunidas Sangeet Sanmelan (Calcutta, Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai)
• Harvallabh Sangeet Samaroha
• Recorded with Ry Cooder (Hollow Bamboo produced by Water Lily Acoustics, Santa Barbara)
• Larry Corryell (played different concerts & recorded own project Moonlight Whispers produced by TIM Co. Hamburg Germany)
• Trilok Gurtu (Womad festival & others in Europe)
• Pandit Ravishankar
• Invited by University of California, Los Angeles for doing a project with the percussion of Gamelan Music in Indonesia.
• Rabindra Nath in Balinese Outset – Rendering of Chitrangada in Indian and Balinese Music and dance.
• Tagorespeare – Seven stages of life by Shakespeare and Rabindranath Tagore.
• Uncommon Time: Taiko Cymbol & Tabla
• The above project comprises of artistes of International repute like Taiko drummer Kenny Endo, Karen Fischer etc. Project involves innovative and fusion music from the artistes.
• Bollywood Beats: Musical collaboration with Aarhus Jazz Orchestra
• TARANG – Own Group . Played in major cities in India; Toured USA twice
• Scored music for Telefilms for Calcutta Television (Doordarshan)
• A documentary film on Calcutta that got National Award; Invited for Munich and Berlin Documentary Film Festivals.
• A puppet drama on the epic Ramayana & Gulbadan in Delhi.
• A drama based on the story “Iphegenia and Other Sisters”, produced by Whittier college
Awards & Certificates
• “Top” grade artiste of All India Radio (more than last five years)
• “Top” grade artiste of ICCR
• Govt. of India for the documentary film on Calcutta
• Abhinav Kala Sanman (Novelty of Art award) from Madhya Pradesh State Govt.
• Honored by the Sheriff of Hampstead, New York for extraordinary performance in New York Vedic Heritage center on November 1st and 2nd 2002.
CDs & Recordings
Numerous CDs published all over the world with major artistes of Indian Classical Music.
Many CDs published as solo albums and of his compositional work.