||Hindustani Sangeet Parichay-1 : Introductory Certificate Course in Hindustani Music
||Chinmaya Naada Bindu Gurukula, Pune
||October 17, 2016 – January 13, 2017
Music plays an important role in human life. Due to the rush and push of present day lifestyle, most people are deprived of opportunities to appreciate the magic of music.
Plants and animals too, respond positively and negatively to good and bad music, respectively. Music is said to heal psychosomatic diseases, stabilize emotional swings and also reduce stress levels.
Hindustani music is a classical art form which is generally considered very difficult by lay persons. This course is an attempt to bring classical music closer to the people, with a view to making them appreciate and revel in good music. For those who are interested in music, but have never had an opportunity to take formal lessons, this short integrated certificate course comes as a unique opportunity to be a part of the music circle.
Click on the link to view the brochure for the course.
The course is designed with the following objectives:
- To facilitate students to enjoy Indian classical music, and to familiarize them with musical terms
- To impart basic knowledge of certain Raags and Taals
- To offer opportunities for students to interact with experts
- To help students find a balance in life through music and spirituality
This 3-month residential course will be conducted with more emphasis on the practical aspect of the art. Therefore, students should be prepared for long practice sessions. The pre-requisites for attending this course are:
- Keen interest in the chosen performing art, and self-discipline.
- Vocal – A singing voice and a sense of rhythm. No formal training required.
- Tabla – A definite sense of rhythm. No formal training required.
- Bansuri – Six months of prior training.
- Entry for all streams is based on audition.
- Age eligibility: Between 12 & 65 years.
- Voice Training/ Bansuri Techniques/ Tabla Techniques
- Singing / Bansuri / Tabla learning
- Vocal sessions for Bansuri & Tabla students
- Rhythm and Tabla-sessions for non-Tabla students
- Origin of Music; Music & Culture; Music & Life
- Terminology in Music; Musical Instruments
- Hindustani Classical Concert Appreciation
- Listening Sessions
- Self-Learning; Project Work
- Group Scriptural Study; Meditation and Yoga
Music is not meant only for entertainment for self or the audience, but to help the perpetrator lead a spiritual life through understanding of the deeper meaning of music. Music and spirituality are interlinked, and music (Naada Yoga) makes the spiritual path easier. For achieving the above, good training in music will be imparted so that it can become a tool for self-unfoldment. Required audio-visual tools will be used.
The classes will be mainly practical oriented, with separate but simultaneous sessions for all the streams. Lectures will be arranged for all streams together.
- Abhijit Banerjee is one of the most sought after tabla players in India and has won accolades throughout the world for his unique style and creative approach. A disciple of Pt. Gyan Prakash Ghosh, he is known for his sensitivity, skill and deep sense of musicality. He has also delved into a diverse variety of world music crossover, as both a performer and composer.
- Rupak Kulkarni, a senior disciple of Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasia, is an outstanding exponent from the Maihar Gharana. He has expertise over the Dhrupad, Khayal and Tantrakari aspects of music and his dignified maturity in playing, technical strength and superb breath control are clearly visible in all his performances.
- Manjusha Patil is an acclaimed Hindustani vocalist from the Gwalior Gharana with a forceful & seasoned voice. She has received in-depth training in classical music, as per the guru-shishya tradition, from Pt. D.V. Kanebua of Ichalkaranji and is presently under the guidance of Pt. Ulhas Kashalkar. Tunefulness, confidence of rhythm, purity in exposition of Raga, complex patterning of ‘Taan’, speed & clarity are a few other highlights of her singing.
- Pramodini Rao is a passionate singer and teacher who has been a creative guru for over 2 decades. A Sangeet Visharad from Bhatkhande University, she holds a Master’s degree in Hindustani classical music, and is the Academic Director of Chinmaya Naada Bindu Gurukula. She is also a composer, performer and, director of various theme-based shows, with several devotional albums to her credit.
- Himanshu Nanda, a disciple of Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasia, is an accomplished Hindustani flautist and is the resident faculty for bansuri at Chinmaya Naada Bindu Gurukula. He is a Sangeet Visharad from Gandharva Mahavidyalaya and has a Master’s degree in music. He has been a visiting faculty for music at IIT Mumbai and has students spread across India and abroad.
- Sunil Avachat is a versatile flautist who performs both Hindustani classical music as well as fusion, light, folk and many other genres. A disciple of Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasia, he is an empanelled artist of Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) and an ‘A’ grade artist of All India Radio. He has travelled widely as a solo bansuri artist as well as with various music bands.
- Rohit Kulkarni, a disciple of Pt. Suresh Talwalkar, is the resident faculty for tabla at Chinmaya Naada Bindu Gurukula. He is a Sangeet Alankar from Gandharva Mahavidyalaya, holds a Master’s degree in Music and is a ‘B’ grade artist of All India Radio. He performs both, as a solo artist as well as as an accompanying artist.
- Vijay Shivane, a soulful singer and sincere teacher, is a part of the faculty team for Hindustani vocal at Chinmaya Naada Bindu Gurukula. He is a Sangeet Visharad from Gandharva Mahavidyalaya and has a Master’s degree in Music. He has received training in classical music from Pt. Shivdas Deglurkar of Ambejogai and is also adept at playing various instruments like tabla, dholak, dholaki, keyboard and harmonium.
|Group Project Work
- Residents of India and SAARC Countries: Rs. 57,000/-*
- Course Fees and Library Charges: Rs. 23,000/-
- Lodging & Boarding: Rs. 34,000/-
- Residents of Other Countries: USD 1350/-*
- Course Fees and Library Charges: USD 540/-
- Lodging & Boarding: USD 810/-
(* Excluding any applicable service tax)
Send in your application (in the prescribed format)
, with the course fee, to the Campus Director, Chinmaya Naada Bindu Gurukula (CNBG), Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, on or before October 8, 2016.
Chinmaya Naada Bindu Gurukula Campus
Kolwan, Taluka Mulshi,
Pune – 412108