Smt Kala Ramnath
Professor (Hindustani Violin)
Chinmaya Naada Bindu Gurukula
Gurukula for Performing Arts
Born into a family of prodigious violin legends as Prof. T.N. Krishnan and Dr. N. Rajam, Kala Ramnath’s genius with the violin manifested itself during her childhood. Recognizing her innate talent, her astute grandfather, Vidwan A. Narayan Iyer took her under his tutelage.
She later on became a pre-eminent disciple of the legendary vocalist Pandit Jasraj. During this mentorship Kala revolutionized the violin technique and produced a sound so unique, evocative and akin to classical Indian vocal music that today her violin is called ‘The Singing Violin’.
Regularly lectures and conducts workshops all around the world, including
• Rotterdam Conservatory of Music, Netherlands
• University of Giessen, Germany
• Weill Institute in association with the Carnegie Hall, New York.
Management & Organizational Activities
• Kala today is keen to enrich the lives of under-privileged and sick children through music in the form of her foundation, ‘Kalashree’.
Major Performances Abroad
• Opera House, Sydney
• Queen Elizabeth Hall, London
• Carnegie Hall, New York
• Worked and experimented with orchestras like the London Symphony and London Philharmonic and world music legends like Ustad Zakir Hussain, Kai Eckhart, Edgar Meyer, Bela Fleck, Terry Bozzio, Abbos Kossimov, Ayrto Moriera, Giovanni Hidalgo and rock legend Ray Manzarek of the Doors, etc..
• Comfortably forges musical alliances with artists of renown from different genres around the globe incorporating elements of Western Classical, Jazz, Flamenco and traditional African music into her rich and varied repertoire.
• ‘Raga Afrika’, ‘Global Conversation’ and recently ‘Elements’ are all bands Kala has founded along with her fellow world music artists.
Awards & Certificates
• Grammy nominated for her album ‘Miles from India’
• Recognized as one of the fifty best instrumentalists of the world by the prestigious ‘Songlines’ Magazine
• Album ‘Kala’ selected by ‘Songlines’ magazines as one of the 50 best recordings of the world
• First Indian violinist to be featured in the violin Bible, ‘The Strad’
• Solo essay in the ‘Encyclopedia – Rough Guide to World Music’ for her contributions in the field of violin in music
• Frequently featured in Hollywood soundtracks including the Oscar nominated “Blood Diamond” and many more such recognitions
• ‘A Top’ Grade performer in All India Radio & Doordarshan
• ‘Rashtriya Kumar Gandharva Sanman’
• ‘Pandit Jasraj Gaurav Puraskar’
• ‘Sur Ratna’
CDs & Recordings