Smt Pramodini Rao
Academic & Campus Director
Chinmaya Naada Bindu Gurukula
Gurukula for Performing Arts
Performing at Chinmaya Mission events in Mumbai from the age of 7, Pramodini Rao is popularly known as the Nightingale of Chinmaya Mission.
Pramodini Rao was initiated into music by her mother, Smt. Susheela Acharya, a singer, composer and lyricist. Her classical training took shape with her formal tutelage under Gurus like Smt. Shampa Pakrashi, Smt. Shashikala Kaikini and Smt. Usha Deshpande of Mumbai and Dr. Vikas Kashalkar in Pune. She has presently started taking guidance in music from Vidushi Manjusha Patil.
Indian devotional music is her forte and she offers every song at the altar of the Lord. Her mature command over the tenets of classical music in rendering a composition culminates in a unique performance marked with a profound degree of devotion.
Pramodini is the co-founder of Chinmaya Swaranjali, the music wing of Chinmaya Mission, dedicated to uplifting the minds of the listeners through devotion. A dedicated teacher, she has sung in and directed many mega light & sound shows under this banner. As a teacher she is known for her patience and encouraging nature. Her inimitable, unhurried and systematic style of teaching makes students aware of both their strengths and weaknesses.
• Sangeet Visharad from Bhatkhande University, Lucknow
• MA in Hindustani Music from Bharati Vidyapeeth, Pune
• Worked in Hoechst Limited & Pfizer Limited for 18 years
• Taught music in Bombay International School for 6 months
• Taught singing in Chinmaya Swaranjali, Mumbai for 4 years
• Taught classical music in Chinmaya Naada Bindu Gurukula for 8 years
• Voluntary work with Chinmaya Mission involving planning & execution of various programmesManagement & Organizational Activities
Management & Organizational Activities
• Administration at the Gurukula
• Conceiving and executing courses, workshops, presentations & performances
Conducted music and bhajan workshops making classical music less challenging to lay persons, and highlighting the uplifting power of music and the joy it brings to people.
• Monsoon Masti
• Hotline to Divine
• Music & Me
• 17 city tour in the USA
• South Africa
• BSKBA, Mumbai
• Mysore Association, Mumbai
• Chinmaya Mission – Mumbai, Salem, Chennai, Bengaluru, Patiala, Delhi, Kanpur, Indore, Goa, Surat, Tarapur, Pune, Kolhapur, Kolkata, etc.
• Sung in, as well as, directed many light-n-sound shows under the Chinmaya Yuva Kendra and Chinmaya Swaranjali banner.
• Recorded an album with self-composed songs for children
• Composed many bhajans & set to tune
Awards & Certificates
• Recognition as ‘Gaana Kokila’ from Bombay South Kanara Brahmin’s Association, Mumbai
CDs & Recordings
• Shri Rama Sharan – Collection of 9 bhajans on Lord Shri Rama
• Hymn to Him – Om Namah Shivaya chanting in different catchy tunes
• Samarpita – Collection of bhajans on Lord Shri Krishna by Smt. Susheela Acharya
• Nivedita, Ranjita, Sampreeta – Compositions on various deities by Smt. Susheela Acharya
• Archita – Collection of Kannada devotional songs by Smt. Susheela Acharya
• Shravana Mangalam – Compositions by saint-poets of India
• Nama Ramayana – 108 names of Lord Rama in different ragas
• Ananda Ganam – Musical chants on Lord Krishna
• Bhakti Surabhi – Live-concert recording of devotional songs presented during Nrtya-Sura-Bharati Festival
• Life-Beat – Targeted at children, this is a collection of lively compositions around different deities by Pramodini herself sung by Chinmaya Swaranjali members.