Invitation to Create Unique Teaching and Research programmes
blending Sanskrit and Ancient Indian Wisdom with
Contemporary Knowledge Streams
Faculty Positions – Call for Applications
Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth is committed to providing quality education in Sanskrit and Indian Knowledge Systems focussed on their contemporary applications. The University perceives the need to connect “the Pandit to the Public” and “Science to Spirituality” and is committed to delivering this unaddressed need in the society. It aspires to connect the vast knowledge repository to modern day applications through teaching and research programmes.
Chinmaya University envisions a confluence of the best-in-class academics and scholars from traditional fields of Sanskrit and modern knowledge streams. The University aspires to set unique pedagogy for teaching Sanskrit and Indian Knowledge Systems attaining domain leadership very soon. Do you share such a vision? Then you should join our team of leaders, academicians and visionaries.
Traditional scholars in the field of Sanskrit with a desire to engage in applied work while preserving the core knowledge are invited to apply. Scholars from modern streams of knowledge with a good working knowledge of Sanskrit and some demonstrated evidence of work (Published papers, Course teaching, Joint work, PhD student guidance) in Applied Indian Knowledge Systems are also invited to apply.
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS (ADVERTISEMENT)
How to Apply
If you intend to know more about the open positions and apply for one or more of these, please follow the steps given below:
- Please go through various sections indicated below by clicking on each of the subsections in this page. This will familiarise you with the areas in which the openings exist, levels, expectations and eligibility requirements from the prospective applicants.
- Pay special attention to the instructions mentioned in subsection ‘Information Required’.
- Before you Apply
- Identify the positions and areas in which you want to apply.
- This application process will require most applicants to submit their applications online. Therefore, please prepare a detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) as specified under ‘Information Required’.
- If possible, please keep a soft copy of your photo handy.
- You will also need to provide details like your email address and contact phone number.
- Application Process (for Online Submissions)
- Once you are ready to apply, please click on the ‘Apply Now’ at the end of this page.
- You will be directed to another window which will be a brief electronic form that will ask you basic information (mandatory) like areas and levels for which you are applying, your name, date of birth, email address and contact phone number (preferably a mobile number).
- The form will require you to upload a soft-copy of your CV (preferably in PDF format) and will also allow you to upload your photograph (optional but desirable).
- Once you have provided this information, please click on ‘Submit’ option in the electronic form.
- You will receive an email acknowledgement of your submission.
- Application Process (for Manual Submissions)
- If you are unable to submit the application online, you can send hard copies (printed) of your CV and photo under the cover of a forwarding letter. These should be sent preferably by EMS Speed Post (please note that not all couriers will deliver packages to this address) so as to reach the following address:
- Chinmaya Vishwavidayapeeth
- Adi Sankara Nilayam
- Veliyanad PO
- Ernakulam 682313
- After sending, please mail at email@example.com giving your name, contact information and Speed Post tracking number.
- If you do not want to apply right now but would want us to inform you about the openings that come up in future, please let us know your interest by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org giving your name and contact phone number and also the area of your expertise.
Open Faculty Positions
We welcome candidates in the areas of specialization mentioned below for the following positions:
At least 3 years industrial/ research/ teaching experience excluding however, the experience gained while pursuing Ph. D. Candidates preferably should be below 35 years of age. (Those not fulfilling the criteria, but found suitable, could be considered as contractual appointees)
Candidates eligible for direct appointment, shall be placed in the pay-scale (Rs.15,600 – 39,100) with AGP Rs. 6,000/-, subject to a minimum pay of Rs. 30,000/-. Those with completed service of 4 years, possessing Ph. D Degree in the relevant discipline shall be eligible, for moving up to AGP of Rs. 7,000/- with five non-compounded annual increments.
Candidates not eligible for direct recruitment may be put on tenure track for the regular post of Assistant Professor. At the entry level they may be placed in the pay-scale (Rs. 15,600 – Rs. 39,100) with AGP of Rs. 6,000/-, with a minimum pay of Rs. 30,000/-. On successful completion of their tenure, they will be eligible for regular appointment.
At least 6 years industrial/ research/ teaching experience of which at least three years should be at the level of Assistant Professor.
Pay-scale of (Rs. 37,400 – Rs. 67,000) with AGP Rs. 9,000/-. For direct recruits, minimum pay to be fixed at Rs. 39,000/-.
At least 10 years industrial/ research/ teaching experience of which at least five years should be at the level of Associate Professor.
Pay-scale of (Rs. 37,400 – 67,000) with AGP Rs. 10,000/-. For direct recruits, minimum pay to be fixed at Rs. 43,000/-.
- Ph. D with first class or equivalent at the preceding degree in the appropriate branch with consistently good academic record throughout.
- The candidates who wish to apply for the entry level posts must have Masters in the concerned subjects [minimum first class or A grade] with Ph. D in the same or allied subjects. Those who are “NET” qualified and currently pursuing Ph. D can also apply.
- The higher level positions [Associate Professor/ Full Professor] candidates are expected to take leadership roles and responsibility to run the programs offered by the department.
Experience: Experience will be reckoned as on September 1, 2016
Areas of Specialisation
Areas of Specialisation
1) Vedic Knowledge Systems
(Masters in any Vedic recitation with the knowledge of Veda Bhashyam and Pratishakhya/ knowledge of Nirukta/ Gruhyasutra. For Jyothisha – Masters in Jyothisha (Ganita) with the knowledge of modern mathematics and astronomy)
2) Linguistics and Literary Studies
- Sanskrit Literature Sahitya Sastra
- NLP with Sanskrit background
3) Ethics, Governance, Culture and Social Systems
- Smritis, Itihasas, Puranas
- Upavedas, including Ayurveda, Artha Sastra, Vastu Sastra
4) Philosophy, Psychology and Scientific Heritage Studies
- Darshanas (Nyaya – Vaisesika), (Samkhya – Yoga), Mimamsa
- Vedanta (Advaita Vedanta), Upavedas
- Philosophy and Logic in Western and Indian streams
5) Contemporary Knowledge Systems
- English, Communication
- Computer Science
- Accounting & Finance
- Personnel Management/ Organizational Behaviour
6) Applied Indian Knowledge Studies
- Applied Indian Knowledge Systems (Indian Psychology, Law, Medicine)
- Indian knowledge applications in Liberal Arts, Science, Technology, Commerce and Management
Information Required in the Application Form
- Please fill the form and submit the application only once for all the areas of specialisation which you are applying for.
- Candidates will have to upload a detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) (preferably in PDF) and a photograph (optional) along-with the form.
- Enclose a detailed Academic Profile including the following information in the CV:
a) A Teaching Plan, indicating the core and foundational courses in the areas of specialisation listed above that you can teach, as also an expanded statement of your objectives and long term interests in coursework development.
b) For those with prior teaching experience, the statement should contain student feedback ratings, profiles of “3 best courses” taught by the candidate in the last five years (profile should contain course outline/ teaching plan, novel methods used, if any, including online content, term papers, group activity etc.). The statement should also include details of any teaching related awards and details of participation in teacher development programs as participant or as mentor.
c) A Research plan highlighting your current and past research interests and achievements as also future plans in the short and long terms. As part of the research plan statement, candidates are expected to submit copies of “3 best papers” authored in the last 10 years, highlighting why the work is important (context).
d) Details of publications/ conference papers presented, listing chronologically: Names of authors, title of the paper, name of the journal/ conference, volume/ proceedings, pages (from – to), year, etc. Group the above as Journal Publications and papers presented at National/ International Conferences.
e) Awards, Prizes etc. indicating: Nature, name of prize/ award, awarded by, awarded for, year of award.
f) Research guidance (only those with formal guide status) listing: – Research degree, name of the scholar, title of thesis, year of award etc.
g) Details of externally funded projects carried out, listing: – Title of the project, duration, sponsor, value, co-investigators, if any, role of the candidate and specific contributions, etc. Candidates should highlight specific contributions, if any, to industry, pointing out the challenges overcome, the value of the work to the industry etc.
h) Other Activities: Textbooks and Monographs written with details, Continuing education programs/conferences organized (as an organizer or co-organizer) etc.
i) For Associate Professor/Professor candidates, important service roles: Institution building and student centric roles played in the institution in which the candidate has worked, giving details of the roles undertaken, significant accomplishments etc.
j) Referees who are in the peer group of their research areas, preferably outside their own institution, and who can comment on the contributions of the candidate to the field are required. Three references are required. Provide name, designation, institution, e-mail and telephone number of the referees.
Pay Scale and Benefits
Scales of Pay
The scales of pay will be as per prevailing UGC norms. Refer to Open Positions section for pay applicable for each position.
Group Medical Insurance for in-patient treatment and medical allowances as per the norms for outpatient expenses.
On arrival, may stay in Guest House up to a fortnight. The University administration will facilitate locating a suitable accommodation in the vicinity of the campus.
- The university reserves the right to fill or not fill any or all the posts advertised. The university reserves the right to restrict the number of candidates for interview to a reasonable limit on the basis of qualifications and experience higher than the minimum prescribed in the advertisement and other academic achievements.
- No correspondence whatsoever will be entertained from candidates regarding reason for not being called for interview/ outcome of interview.
- The university may consider candidates whose area of specialization lie outside those stated herein, provided these persons have an outstanding record.
- Outstation candidates called for personal interview will be paid Economy Airfare/ Second AC Train fare by the shortest route, as applicable for the relevant grade.
- The candidate is responsible for the correctness of the information provided in the application. If it is found at a later date that any information given in the application is incorrect/ false the candidature/ appointment is liable to be cancelled/ terminated.