The Vice Chancellor’s message is the text of the speech given by Prof. Mahadevan at the launch of the Chinmaya University website on June 14, 2016.
प्रातस्मरणीयाणां Chinmaya Mission अध्यक्षाणां Guruji Tejomayananda स्वामिपादानां चरणकमलेषु सविनयं मम नमस्कारान् आदौ समर्प्य, अत्र सम्मिलितान् अन्य स्वामिपादान् आचार्यान् तथा अन्य महाजनान् अपि शिरसा प्रणम्य चिन्मय विश्वविद्यापीठस्य विषये कानिचन वाक्यानि वक्तुं आगतोस्म्यहम् । अयं सुसन्दर्भः अस्मभ्यः सर्वेभ्यः महदानन्द दायकः इति भाति ।
- First of all I consider this as a great blessing and privilege to lead this noble cause of Chinmaya Mission and thank Pujya Guruji and other Swamiji’s for reposing confidence in me.
- In the interest of time I would prefer to maintain brevity in my speech.
- Touch upon three issues
- What this University will aspire to
- What it means to the students/parents/stakeholders
- What it means to the academic fraternity
Chinmaya University’s Aspirations
- Engage with a single pointed focus to open up the vast treasure of our Ancient Indian Knowledge Traditions (AIKT) (including Dance, Music & other Art Forms) to the modern world. The work will spread in two dimensions: container and the content. By content I mean the entire ancient Indic wisdom and by container the Sanskrit Language.
- Do meaningful and serious research on Sanskrit, AIKT and modern knowledge and synthesise new usable knowledge for creating an emerging world order
- Bringing the essence of Advaita Vedanta to the humanity
- Create a new dimension in the educational space to demonstrate how one can setup a Sanskrit University which can also mainstream itself with the society
Students, Parents and Stakeholders:
- Learning Sanskrit/AIKT can be as gainful an exercise as any other discipline – opportunity to discover one’s own cultural heritage and moorings and be proud & confident as they pass out
- Walk into every domain of profession and lead with fully blossomed personality and contribute to the nation building
- More specific and immediate plans are to start BA (Sanskrit), BA (Applied IKT), MA (Applied IKT), Integrated Masters in Hindustani Music
- Sanskrit Fraternity can look forward to a number of innovations in pedagogical aspects of running a Sanskrit Program in the country
- An ambience for cross disciplinary research on applied IKT – be it areas like Vedanta, Sanskrit, Music, Dance & Art Forms etc.
- An opportunity to collaborate with the University
- A compelling academic environment to seriously consider spending a good amount of their career
- Ever since we all got associated with the idea of this University, we could constantly feel there is ईश्वर-इच्छा, भगवत्-संकल्प: and कृपा-कटाक्षः & अनुग्रहः of Pujya Gurudev. We will continue to get inspired by this.
- On behalf of the University and all its staff, I seek your blessings in bounty for this vision to become reality at the earliest.
- For the immediate, I seek the active support and help of everyone here in finding enough students to admit for the current academic year. I am reminded of this passage from Taittiriya Upanishad…
आमायन्तु ब्रह्मचारिणः स्वाहा। विमायन्तु ब्रह्मचारिणः स्वाहा।
प्रमायन्तु ब्रह्मचारिणः स्वाहा। दमायन्तु ब्रह्मचारिणः स्वाहा। शमायन्तु ब्रह्मचारिणः स्वाहा ॥
- In short this university will aspire to live & breathe through the maxim laid out by Shri Krishna in Bhagavad Gita – नहि ज्ञानेन सदृशं पवित्रमिह विद्यते
Hari OM ! TAT SAT !
Prof. B. Mahadevan